Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A word about your blogger

I started this blog as a way of sharing my trip to China with the staff and directors of our small company (35 employees) and my family. I have gradually become aware that other people are also reading this blog. Welcome! I hope you find this blog interesting. For those of you who do not know me, perhaps a comment is in order.

If this blog has the feel of a "wide-eyed boy from the country," that is so. (Well, maybe the "boy" part is forgetting a few years.) It could not have been any other way.

I grew up on a family dairy farm in Vermont. (As you might expect, when we tell people here the population of Vermont, they find that amusing.) I have previously traveled only within the U.S. and Canada. I have not spent much time in cities even within the U.S., except for Chicago. Although New York City is not far from Vermont, I have now spent more time in Chinese cities than in New York City. My job for the past 25 years has involved working with farmers.

This blog naturally reflects my background, and the original intended audience consists of people much like me (some more widely traveled than me, and some less so).

I hope that provides some context for the perspective of this blog.