Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Clinic

After arriving in Beijing, I visited a part of China that was not on our schedule. I have come down with a minor infection, and thought it best to consult a doctor. Chris Barbieri, who has done an absolutely wonderful job organizing this trip, found a hospital for me with English speaking staff, and helped me make an appointment. While the rest of the delegation attended a meeting with the USDA's Agricultural Trade Office in Beijing, I took a taxi to the United Family Hospitals and Clinics.

The service was prompt, efficient and courteous. I was seen by Dr. Tony Lu of Seattle. (He attended the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, the same medical school as former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, MD.) Dr. Lu prescribed some antibiotics and sent me on my way. Total time in the clinic, including paperwork and filling the prescription, was 1.5 hours. I spent nearly that much time in the taxi. Cost for the visit was about $100 for the doctor's visit and about $40 for the medicine.

UPDATE: Someone asked what the taxi cost. About $4 each way.