Monday, August 25, 2008

Farm Credit Fellow - Asa Manning

Yankee had the pleasure of hosting four Farm Credit Fellows this summer. Below is a short bio on Asa Manning, who completed a one week internship in the White River Jct. office last week:

This past summer I lived in Oconomowoc, WI and completed an internship on the Koepke Dairy Farm. They are a 320 cow dairy farm that is owned and operated by three Koepke brothers, David, Jim and Alan, and Jim's son John and his wife. I worked on all aspects of the cropping and shop work as well as constructed a new barn to house dry cows in. I spent a great deal of time erecting fences around pastures by the new dry cow barn. I will be graduating this spring from The University of Vermont with a bachelor's degree in animal science and I am also a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. I was born and raised in Strafford, VT and grew up on a diversified dairy farm where we generally milk between 30-40 Jersey cows. We also raise pigs, chickens, and turkeys, and have a maple sugaring operation. We enjoy raising oxen to log our land with and I have raised 2 pairs with my older brother. When I finish school, I plan to help run my family's farm part time while exploring options for added expansion to our business and possibly working on another dairy farm close to home. I have enjoyed my week here at Farm Credit and learned a lot about the loan process and the credit world.