Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Thrifty Dairyman

Arthur H. Packard, Sr. was president of Vermont Farm Bureau from 1928 to 1953, and a legend in Vermont agriculture. (Click here for more information about Arthur Packard.  He is in the Vermont Agricultural Hall of Fame.)

In his August 1949 column Mr. Packard quoted "a thrifty but smaller Vermont dairyman":

"I think Vermont farmers should cut out all unnecessary cost in the production of milk. I favor keeping the investment in the dairy plant and farm machinery at the lowest point consistent with getting the job done."

The farmer that Mr. Packard quoted was Harold Putnam of Cambridge, my father, then 34 years old. He had 30 cows at the time, and 15 youngstock. I recently reminded my father (now 95 years old) of this quote. He laughed and said, "Well, that advice hasn't gone stale yet, has it?"

Below is Mr. Packard's column from my father's scrapbook (click on the image to enlarge):