Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Entrepreneurship or Innovation?

Ruchel has proposed using "innovation" instead of entrepreneurship for our 4th value:
George, I'm not too fond of the word entrepreneurship - it's hard to say & spell. Plus some people have preconceived notions about what the word means, which may or may not be the meaning that you have attached to it. I'd like to propose we use the word innovative or innovation instead. I think this quote from Wikipedia covers what you wanted to represent with the word entrepreneurship: "The goal of innovation is positive change, to make someone or something better." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovation)

(See Ruchel's comment posted 9/09/08 here.)

Ruchel, thanks for your innovative suggestion! Let's discuss it a bit.

I like the Wikipedia quote. It certainly does capture a good deal of what I am trying to say. For that aspect of what I'm trying to say, I admit that it is a better word than entrepreneurship. (advantage: innovation) I also like that "innovation" is easier to say and spell than "entrepreneurship."

On the other hand, to me entrepreneurship connotes more of a concern with risk, revenue and costs than does innovation. I am trying to represent all of those concepts, too. (advantage: entrepreneurship)

I assume that your comment about "preconceived notions" refers to the fact that some people associate entrepreneurship primarily with startup enterprises while I have been applying the concept to both startup and established enterprises. (advantage: innovation) Were you referring to anything else?

To all readers: What do you think? Which word do you prefer, and why? Is there yet another word that we should consider? Perhaps we should go with both words, as in innovation/entrepreneurship. Please join the discussion by sharing your thoughts in the comments.