Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cropland from the air

It was a pleasant two hour flight from Jinan to Harbin, again on a Boeing 737 operated by Shandong Airlines. The plane was about half full. I read the China Daily--an English language newspaper published by the government--on the flight. Perhaps I will have more to say about that later, when I have more time. I liked this newspaper, and it was thought provoking. For now, I will just mention one news item for the benefit of my children in college or soon to be in college: Three Chinese universities have prohibited first year students from owning computers because of computer game addiction. "The ban is to ensure they can live a good life in the future by studying hard now."

The view was cropland or cities and towns all the way. Note how every inch is tilled, and how there is an abrupt change from city/town to field.